Sunday, February 28, 2010

Taking Vitamins

Do you ever get frustrated with how difficult it is to upkeep yourself? I mean with all the things we take--vitamins and fish oils and some tiny white pills i take three times a day to make sure some hormone from some part of me makes it to another part and I honestly can't even remember what all these little pills are for anymore. We are so far from being the primal, sleeping, running, eating beings that we once were who just did all of those things whenever the hell they felt like it. But it's simply not ok for us to pass out in our cubicles. So we let our chiropractor pop this or push that, and we take all these things to alter ourselves--we make our bodies fit our schedules.
I went to a nuerologist at the beginning of the summer and he asked me a series of questions:
*On a scale of 1 to 10, how depressed are you---- 7.
*How many hours of sleep do you get per night?---- 5, maybe 6
*Are you tired during the day----what the hell do you---sorry, you're a nice guy. Ya, i'd say i'm more tired than i'd like to be.
*On a scale from 1 to 10, how energetic do you feel during the day?----can't the answer to this question be deduced from the last??

Ok, he sold me $200 worth of vitamins and told me to come back bi-monthly for chiropractic adjustments.
Sweet man, really, he is. And I could tell he felt sorry for me and for all the other people coming in there to reboot every couple weeks--like computers that have been over used, haven't been shut down properly or have downloaded too much. And we can't escape it. We can't escape it! When I get sleepy I don't want to take a vitamin, damnit. I want to go to sleep! It's like there are two versions of myself living parallel. One of them is the natural, primal version who wants to lie down when she is tired, eat when she is hungry, allow a little depression sometimes--sleep it out, go for a walk, do something that makes her happy. The other part has a vitamin or a pill to stifle all those other natural inclinations. Sometimes I just want to run around naked on a deserted island and do what i feel!

I had to find a saner, more socially acceptable substitution for that fantasy towards the end of last summer. My friend Mary and i decided a road trip would suffice. My profile picture is a picture of me taking the last vitamin I would take for two weeks. I kind of look like i'm Neo in the matrix and have just chosen to take the red pill and see how far the rabbit hole goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment